BlueLabel is seeking a Director of Engineering to lead our mobile app development team. Mobile apps are where BlueLabel got our start, and we’ve built custom applications for customers across many industries like healthcare, retail, and media. Our primary tech stack is React Native, but we build plenty of native and Unity applications, too! You will be responsible for hiring, employee growth and development, project staffing, and collaborating across departments on project delivery.
BlueLabel is seeking a Director of Engineering to lead our mobile app development team. Mobile apps are where BlueLabel got our start, and we’ve built custom applications for customers across many industries like healthcare, retail, and media. Our primary tech stack is React Native, but we build plenty of native and Unity applications, too! You will be responsible for hiring, employee growth and development, project staffing, and collaborating across departments on project delivery. Success will be measured through team health (eNPS, utilization) and project success metrics (client satisfaction, timeline, and budget). We are a fast-growing, agile team and we need a leader who can help fuel our growth with consistent delivery that our customers can trust.
The ideal candidate is a passionate people leader who can foster a team environment across global locations. We’re looking for an excellent cross-functional collaborator who can work across departments to build alignment with product management, quality assurance, and client account management. In addition, this person should love the variety of challenges and project diversity that working in a development agency brings.
“Work from home” has been a part of the strategy and culture since our company’s inception. This is truly a global team, so effective communication and remote management experience are critical for success.
What You’ll Do:
- Hire, train and mentor a team of mobile app developers and development leads, providing performance feedback and coaching to grow the team’s skills and capabilities and create a strong collaborative team environment.
- Take ownership of code quality by establishing standards and offering training to the team on initiatives like software design patterns, coding standards, code reviews, continuous integration, and unit testing.
- Define and monitor organization and project performance against OKRs and KPIs to ensure best-in-class mobile app development and delivery execution. Develop and implement short and long-term strategies for improvement.
- Evaluate, contract, and manage vendor partnerships to allow flexibility in scaling the team to meet project staffing needs.
- Contribute to project success by identifying and managing the mobile development team’s impact on budget, timeline, and client satisfaction
- Optimize project staffing by balancing internal and vendor-managed team members across projects to create effective teams, maximize team utilization and manage code quality.
- Manage the full employee lifecycle from recruiting, interviewing, onboarding, and management to coaching and offboarding.
- Create and maintain onboarding and training materials to ensure that employees are set up for success when they join the company as well as progressing through their career journey.
- Promote knowledge sharing across project teams.
- Support project issues and client escalations, as needed.
- Partner with other departments to create clarity around roles and responsibilities across project teams.
- Drive project and feature estimations with the development team.
- Work both tactically to keep day-to-day project work on track but also strategically to improve the team’s overall processes and approach.
- Work with clients to explain our mobile app development approach and help our sales team win new opportunities, as needed.
- Assume a leadership role in ensuring on-time, high-quality delivery of products through the entire application life cycle.
- Keep abreast of new technologies and how they might benefit Blue Label or our customers.
- Organize internal team-building activities, like hackathons or brainstorming workshops.
- Has managed a team of 20+ mobile app developers, including managers or leads.
- Experience working in a digital agency or technology consulting firm.
- Has worked with a globally distributed development team, including India.
- Proven success in recruiting, hiring, and motivating a high-performing engineering team.
- Familiarity with mobile app technologies like React Native, iOS/Swift or Android/Kotlin.
- Solid understanding of Agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban).
- Experience evaluating, contracting, and managing external vendor partnerships.
- Experience scaling a team quickly, while developing new systems/processes to support them.
- Clear communicator who is able to communicate technical concepts in business terms.
- Proactive, hardworking, and high energy/positive attitude.
- Strong organization and change management experience.
- Servant leader, ready and eager to assist with whatever is needed for team success.
- Compensation will consist of a base salary and a performance-based bonus commensurate with experience.
- Profit-sharing potential for top performers.
- Salary Range is $160,000-180,000 US Dollars.